Pumpkin Bars With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
from Debra Dier
YIELD 24-48 Bars
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or substitute ½ cup unsweetened applesauce and ½ cup oil)
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, spices, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until the ingredients are combined.
- Spread the batter into a greased 15 by10 by 1 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Cut into bars.
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Incorporate the orange zest on medium speed.
- Add the sugar one cup at a time, incorporating on low speed after each addition.
- Add the orange juice and mix on low until well combined.
- Beat on high until frosting is creamy.
- Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.